Sunday, May 18, 2008

Golfing In Temecula

I know that most of you, including myself, tend to play golf courses that are local. The familiarity of the courses breeds confidence, not to mention convenience. I compare it to going out to eat. When it’s time for a night on the town for dinner with your spouse or loved one, how many of us tend to go to the same handful of restaurants every time? Not only do we do this for convenience, but it also becomes predictable and we usually have security in familiarity. However, how many times have you strayed away from the norm? You may enjoy a great meal in a pleasant environment or the complete opposite. Sometimes it’s a stab in the dark, but there are times when you find a hidden gem that seems to make it all worth while.

"...I always encourage people to play courses they normally
would not play."

That’s why I always encourage people to play courses they normally would not play. Don’t play a course just for the sake of trying something new. Make sure you take a little time to either do some research or get a few good referrals before heading out to a new course. Hopefully my reviews at times help with the research aspect. When I have the chance to go out and play new courses, I love to tell others about my experiences. Seldom do I have a horrible experience at a golf course. The two reasons being is I enjoy playing golf so much that it’s just nice to get out and play. The second reason is that I usually take the time to research courses either online or take trusted advise from others before playing them.

I’ve had a chance to play a few courses in Temecula and it’s a great break from the same courses we play here in Orange and LA County. Most of the courses in Temecula are well manicured and laid out. I have also noticed that many of the courses have done a great job designing their courses around their established environments and lay of the land. This helps to produce a more scenic course with a natural flow.

The climate in Temecula is similar to Orange and LA County, averaging about 5-10 degrees warmer during the summer. Even on hot days it seems though that the temperatures are always bearable. The other three seasons are very comparable to Orange and LA County with the winter months dipping even more during the evenings. The drive is about 50-60 minutes from Orange County to Temecula. There are some great inns in Temecula if you are looking to stay for the weekend. Temecula also is a great wine producing area. Many have called it the Napa of the south. For those of you who have spouses who do not play golf but enjoy weekends out, you can head down to Temecula with a few other couples. While you are playing golf with your friends, those who don’t play can go wine tasting. Finish the evening off with a great dinner overlooking the Tememcula valley and you’ve got yourself a memorable day that all of you can enjoy.

I have played a few courses in Temecula, and both were very enjoyable. I hope to play the courses again soon so I can offer a detailed course review since it has been over a year when I last played them. The first course I have played is Temeku Hills. The green fees here are very reasonable, and the course is well laid out among homes. The course isn’t "overly" hilly but it does have some noticeable elevation changes. Some greens are also multi-tier, so make sure your putting is dialed in. Prices at Temeku Hills range from $29-$69 and include a cart. The second course I have played is Redhawk. This is another beautiful golf course. It is well manicured and challenging. While both courses are set among homes, Redhawk seems to be a little more open. Rates at Redhawk range from $33-$85 and also include a cart. I thoroughly enjoyed myself at each course, and would play both again. I’ve listed a few course names and numbers below, so take the time to travel down to Temecula and play a different course for the first time.

Redhawk Golf Course
800-451-HAWK

Temeku Hills Golf Course
951-693-1440

Temecula Creek Inn
951-694-1000

Cross Creek Golf Course
951-506-3402

Corey Bogardus received his B.A. degree in Graphic Design and Fine Arts from Azusa Pacific University. He is the Editor-In-Chief of the Investment Property Update Newspaper. He also heads up a company known as The Design Well, an advertising agency which produces print and web graphics for companies such as the IPU. You can visit them online at www.thedesignwell.com.

No comments: